Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Be Lost in the Call

Remember God so much that you are forgotten.
Let the caller and the called disappear;
be
lost in the Call.

by Rumi

 

Back in 2001-2002, I was part of a Bible Study class that lasted for nearly a year. It was a small group class, led by our Pastor, Richard. He called it Pilgrim's Journey.

We came to see ourselves as Travelers, as Pilgrim's seeking Truth in the Lord, and among People of the Word. We read scripture, and responded, sometimes in poetry, sometimes in prayer, and in discussion. We listened to Richard read the words of a Sufi sage, like Rumi, above. We reflected on Hebrew wisdom as well, learned about the history of Kabbalah, and even came to grasp some of the concepts. We contemplated Holy Scripture, the Lord's words, the parables told by Jesus. We compared the beliefs of different faiths, we often questioned the meaning of the text we read.

It was a most unusual Bible Study class. I continue to be drawn back to the story of creation as told in Kabbalah, an ancient wisdom that influences people of all faiths. The source of Kabbalic wisdom is the Zohar, a 23 volume collection. I haven't studied Kabbalah, I am just aware of it, but I want to study it. There will be more about this in my journal in the future.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your entry, as always. Hope your having a good day.
Blessings,
SUGAR

Anonymous said...

I am curious to know more about Kabbalah, too.  The only thing I know about it is you wear a red string on your wrist and drink the water.  :)
Lacey

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard too much of this. Will be interested in reading what you have to say about it.

betty

Anonymous said...

all I know about Kabbalah is that Madonna is into it...that kinda scares me!!!
Beckly

Anonymous said...

It should affect her. I suppose there are different degrees of being "into" something, but time will tell.  :- )  Bea

Anonymous said...

hi Bea great entry!
I love your teachings and the Kabbalah
love,nat

Anonymous said...

Kabbalah makes me think of Madonna, Britney Spears, Ashton Kutcher et al.  Isn't that sad?  That we should associate a form of religion with people like that?  :(  Guess I should read up on it, eh?

Jackie

Anonymous said...

If you are interested in the study of kabbalah, might I recommend that you visit http://kvg.kabbalahgroup.org  It's a great community of students.

Blessings!

Nick