I just had a wonderful day with my friends and their daughters.
Do you remember the New Year's Resolution Beth made for me around the firepit at Patterson Park? She had suggested that we do more things together (us women friends) this year. Anything from going out to dinner, sitting around the pool, having a discussion over the latest book we're reading, even going to the lake or the coast or the mountains... I imagine it could mean just about anything that ladies can do together, like best girlfriends. Laughing, joking, sharing family history, thoughts, concerns.
Today, we did one of those "things." We met at the mall, and spent pretty much half the day there. For me it was a rare opportunity. I had not been to the Colonial Mall on Huffman Mill Road in Burlington in so long that I didn't even know it's name had changed. Now I can't even remember what it's new name is!
Anyway, all the stores were either having after Christmas sales, 75% off everything, or going out of business sales. It was a good time to go shopping for a new coat, although that wasn't on my mind when I met them there. The only thing I knew for sure was that I'd be sharing some important time with my friends.
It wasn't long after I met them that someone suggested we have lunch at Wholly Guacamole, a fabulous restaurant that serves up not only the best steak and shrimp plate, but also the best Margaritas. Alyson suggested that she and I split the steak and shrimp since we weren't that hungry. The steak was most tender, and the grilled shrimp divine. The girls, Marlene and Mary Catherine, ordered something else like fajitas, and drinking their sodas.
You can really see how little girls pick up their mother's mannerisms when you go out to lunch with them. You can see how they learn from their mothers, who model good behavior, when they are in public, and the proper way to respond to waiters and salespeople. I was very proud of both these moms for setting a standard of good manners and appropriate conversation. You both get A+, ladies!
I think the biggest surprise for me was that I found a new coat to wear, and some new shoes, both on sale, and both fitting good. I've been wearing the same jacket since 1996 or 97... it's gotten a bit thread bare, but I loved that jacket, and it was hard to give up. My husband, son, and friends have on various occasions suggested I get a new coat because mine has gotten raggedy. But the jacket was very comfortable, machine washable, and besides, I hadn't found anything equally comfortable.
Until today, that is. The new jacket is all weather, has a removable liner, removable hood, zips up the front, and the sleeves are just the right length for my length-challenged arms. The price was right. With Alyson admiring it and telling me how good it looked on me, I had to get it.
Girlfriends do that... give their support. And when Alyson tried on some new clothes, I was there to tell her how good this shirt looked or that one. Beth and I ended up buying the same sweater, same color even. We agreed not to wear it at the same time, but I reminded her we that we didn't work together so that wouldn't be a problem. The girls found some clothes on sale as well, but mostly they seemed more interested in buying something for their loved ones to give to them on Valentine's Day. How sweet is that? I told you, these moms have taught their kids well.
A trip shopping is never complete without a stop at the Dollar Tree or the Hallmark Shoppe, or the bookstore, in this case, it was Books-A-Million. Found a couple of good reads. Ever hear of Mattie Stepanek? Mattie was a young boy, with the heart of a wizened man, who died very young from a rare form of muscular dystrophy. He was a peacemaker and authored several books of poetry by the time he was 11 years old. He had appeared on Oprah, met President Jimmy Carter, and was on a mission to promote world peace.I had fallen in love with Mattie back in 2004, I believe, when I caught him on the Oprah show one afternoon.
Today, I bought his latest poetry collection, Reflections of Peacemaker. "A portion of the proceeds of Reflections of a Peacemaker will be donated to the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) Mattie Fund for medical research to help find treatments and cures for childhood neuromuscular diseases."
I found this information at MattieOnline.com. One day I will write more about Mattie and if I get permission,will include a poem or two of his. He is truly an inspiration.
Well, our girls day out finally came to an end, and like the promise of a beautiful day to follow, the setting sun colored the clouds with a spread of reds and oranges. I expect I will be doing "more of this" with them this year.


9 comments:
I too, fell in love w/ Mattie...have one of his books too. Thanks for reminding me. I didn't know there was a website.
Nancy
Now that is what I need!! A girls day out. I don't think I've had one since about '97.......same as your old jacket! LOL - Barbara
http://journals.aol.com/bhbner2him/LifeFaithinCaneyhead/entries/1824
What a great day you had!! I love days like that.
Lori
Spending time with friends is such funII too fell in love with precious Mattie, so much so that I posted a tribute to him in my journal.
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK
So glad you got the chance to spend time with your friends, and that everyone had a nice time.
I remember Mattie. The little boy with heart of gold. I saw him for the first time on Oprah, and fell in love with him. Such a tiny little thing with such an old and wizend soul.
Jackie
Ahhhh...sounds like you had a perfect day! One for the memories! So happy you enjoyed yourself so much.
Blessings,
SUGAR
times wiht good friends are so precious Im glad you did that!
I am interested in leaning more of that author so thanks!
natalie
The name of the mall is Burlington Square Mall it is ok I forgot too.
love
Marlene
p.s I had a great time with you i hope we can do it again!
I'm glad you had such a good time. It's good to spend time with friends, but sometimes we get caught up and forget how important it is too. I remember Mattie. What a special person who was taken away all too soon, while leaving such a big mark on the world.
Post a Comment