I seldom talk about my son, out of respect for his privacy. Yesterday I spent some time with him and his girlfriend, Vi. My husband and I met them at the Carolina Ale House in Durham for dinner. It was one of those rare times when all four of us were available and able to be together, same place, same time.
Both Steven and Vi (Vee) are pharmacy students, and both are studying to pass weekly exams as they work toward their Pharm D at the Pharmacy School at UNC in Chapel Hill. I like Vi, mostly because she likes my son, but also because she likes to cook, read, loves animals, and has beautiful eyes and a pleasant smile. She is respectful, independent, and has a quiet demeanor. Actually, she is very pretty, but I didn't want to dwell on her physical attributes because she is so much more. If I ever get a recent picture of the two of them together, with their permission, I will post it here.
Our conversation ranged from thanking each other for the Christmas gifts, to the series Lost, from movies to books, and the Super Bowl (that lasted about 15 seconds). Now that I think of it, I may have talked too much! It's because my husband doesn't talk much at all. I think we can have all the quiet time we want at home, but when we go out, let's talk! lol!
He's all grown up now, working between semesters, going to school full time, paying his own bills, taking care of his own car (calling dad whenever there is a mechanical problem that dad can help with). He seems to have adjusted to living on his own. I am proud of him for that. And so grateful that he lives only about a 35 minute drive away from me.
I wanted to ask Vi so many questions, but I didn’t, because I didn’t want to scare her off, or scare Steven off. He doesn’t like it when I “interview” his girlfriends. Well, if I don’t ask, how will I find out? I need someone to talk to me! Tell me things. Tell me what you think, how you feel.
I just want to know better the girl that likes my son, maybe even loves my son. I want to know him better too, because he is an adult now. I knew him so well when he was a kid. Adult he may be, but still my son, my child.
I remember wrestling on the floor with him when he was a toddler. I remember the wooden spoon fights in the kitchen when he was ten, as I cooked dinner. I remember taking him to Star Wars movies because we were both big SW fans. I remember making arrangements for his friends to spend the night, and sledding down the driveway on snow days. I remember science projects that grew and changed colors, or burned up in flaming glory... I remember. We had some pretty good times when he was a kid in this house. Yeah, I do miss that sometimes.
It was very nice to spend some time with them. Maybe next time I can learn a little more. If I didn’t talk too much this time. I enjoy all the little pieces of time that I can be with my son and his girlfriend.


6 comments:
I can so relate to this and my son still lives at home; still in 11th grade. But I do miss the closeness we had when he was younger and all we did together. Part of growing up and letting go, just so hard at times.
I think its awesome Steve is going to be a pharmacist.
betty
Oh, Bea.. this entry really touched home with me. My oldest son, who is 31 now... well.. the things you talked about sharing with your son.. I remember sharing with Brian. He loved Star Wars! Oh, they do grow up so fast... and while they will always need you... the need is so different from when they were little. I so miss that sometimes.. <sigh>
Hugs,
Jackie
((((((Bea))))))
I just love the part of this entry which talks about all of these cool things that you used to do with your son!Makes me think of all of the hoops I've been jumping through lately
hugs, nat
Another wonderful entry Bea. Makes me wish I had a son or daughter. Maybe someday I'll be as lucky...
Glad you like Vi - I'm sure she's glad too :)
I'm sure you made her feel right at home.
Bea~Nice entry..I am struck by the respect and room you give them both. Good MOM! ;-))) I often write and show photos of my son.(28 now & married) Guiltily, I might ad that I never asked his permission; I am so into photography that sometimes I have to remember not everyone else is! Sassy ;-)
http://journals.aol.com/SassyDee50/SassysEYE
It's always nice when you can spend time with your children especially when they are grown!!! http://journals.aol.com/shayshaydc/Golfaholic
Sharon:)
Post a Comment