Duties as Designed
The job of the poet
Is to give birth to the words
That give breath to expressions
Of the essence of life.
The job of the poet
Is to leave stains of the storms
Yet echo laughter of the light
That is seen from the soul.
The job of the poet
Is to weave ashes of yesterthoughts
Into silhouettes that rise gently
On the horizon of dawning hope.
The job of the poet
Is to create and to capture
And to spirit and to script
The pulse of life.
February 14, 2003
By Mattie J.T. Stepanek
From Reflections of a Peacemaker: A Portrait Through Heartsongs
Published by Andrews McMeel Publishing, 2005
Mattie was born in 1990 with a life-threatening neuromuscular disease. He had three other siblings who were born with, and died from, the same disease. His mother has it as well. Mattie never knew his two oldest siblings, who died before Mattie was born, but he remembered one brother who died when Mattie was a preschooler. Mattie started writing what he came to call Heartsongs when he was three years old! He died in June of 2004, but during those nearly fourteen years of living and loving, he graced our world with his poetry, his wisdom, and his humor.
You can read all about Mattie at his website, and you can buy his books, one of which I've quoted from above with permission from his mother, Jeni Stepanek, at Amazon.com, or your favorite bookstore. I will probably add other poems and thoughts as I walk through the year just because this little boy with the God-sized heart made such an impression on me several years ago when I saw him on the Oprah show.
I rediscovered Mattie when I found his most recent book at the local bookstore. I wanted to pass this information on to anyone who might want to discover Mattie, but I'm thinking most of you already have heard of him, or have heard him. If you have heard him speak, then you were touched as I was.
Bea


5 comments:
Mattie was one of the world's most precious angels, a little boy who had more wisdom in the tip of his finger than most of us have in our mind. I never saw him without crying, not out of pity, but from the miracle he was. Watching and listening to him motivated me, touched my heart in a way nobody ever has. I appreciate you taking time to post the link to his website. I'm sure many are not aware that he had one.
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK
http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/THERESTOFTHESTORY
Thank you for the link to his web site. I didn't know it existed. Pennie
He was an amazing little angel. I'm glad you're letting us remember him- I didn't know about the website. He really had a way of opening hearts and eyes. The world was definately blessed to have his insight- even if for such a short time. God bless, and have a good week- Carolyn
Beautiful thoughts Bea! thank you very much!
love,natalie
I did follow Mattie's life; what a wise young man he was. Thank you for the comments in my journal and yes, thank you for adding me to your alerts - I did the same with your journal. Will check it out more as the day allows :)
betty
Post a Comment