Friday, January 6, 2006

It's a Saturnidae! Pupa, that is.

It's Friday and what am I doing? You're reading this, so you know already.

I followed a link that septinx left me (at the previous cocoon entry) to find out about the caterpillar/cocoon, and from there began a search to identify it.

Also, having identified it, I wanted to know how to keep my precious cocoon over-winter, and wondered how long it could stand the cold. These are the questions I had as I searched, and guess what? I found the answers to how to keep the larva/pupa overwinter!

For now, I really don't care if it is a Luna or a Polyphemus (right now, it could be either). They both are in the same family of saturnidae, or Giant Silkworm Moths, both stunning in color and size.

I learned that caterpillars make "a decision" by some inner workings (established at the moment of creation, I wonder?) whether to pupate and emerge from their cocoons in the early fall, or pupate over the winter.

Apparently mine made the decision to pupate over the winter. I have to make sure it stays relatively cold, above freezing temperatures, and keep it from predators who might want to have a feast on him. He is safe in his bug barn, and he's cold enough in our very cold garage. If the winter becomes too warm, I may have to set him up in the refrigerator.

The biggest problem he will face when he emerges is that the bug barn is too small for his wings to expand properly, so I've got to figure out a way to get him out of the box before his wings stretch out completely. The box is made of wood and wire. I could dismantle the box, which is nicely painted and looks pretty, and will be completely destroyed if I try to take it apart.

Any suggestions on how to save both the moth and the bug barn?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who knew Moths could be so gorgeous! Move over butterflies the moths are taking over the runway! lol lol lol

Anonymous said...

I am just floored by moths!!!  As a child I thought of them as these ugly brown things that sizzled when they got too close to the porch light.

As an adult I got interested in painting and went through some glorious nature books with breathtaking photographs of moths.

My paintings that sold the fastest were always the moth paintings.

I decided that was a great life lesson on making snap judgements.  I wish I had a suggestion on your moth barn.  I just paint them.  I never set up and bed and breakfast for them.  LOL!  Aren't you nice!

http://journals.aol.com/ccancu/CEEGEEATLARGE

Anonymous said...

Just dropping by to wish you a happy weekend! Enjoy reading what you're up to.
God Bless,
Sugar
http://journals.aol.com/sugarsweet056/MYLIFE/

Anonymous said...

Glad you have it identified!
Should not be too hard to construct a new container. If you have something like a cookie tin, all you would need would be some screen. The cookie tin base, the screen and then the lid on top. Maybe something inside to make sure it would not colapse.