Thursday, January 12, 2006

Moon Facts and Trivia Links

An Orange Moon No I didn't take this photo, but I found it at Keith's Moon Page. There's a lot of interesting facts about the moon here, like why we have what we call a blue moon, an animation explaining the phases of the moon, why the moon looks bigger near the horizon, and a list of when full moons fall on Friday 13th. I didn't see tomorrow's Friday the 13th listed however, but that may because tonight is its actual full month date, but it should be full tomorrow night as well.

All this done to have something to bring to class tomorrow for my 4th grade reading class. I thought they would love to see the time lapse video I found of 3 1/2 weeks of the moon going through its phases. If you go to this link, you'll have to scroll down to find the video, but I promise you will want to check out all the other photos and videos time lapse and in real time of the moon.

Anyone ever read Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress? It was my first science fiction novel. Read it in high school. And I read Moonstone in High school in Literature class. Can't think of any other moon titles.

Can you? Enjoy the links.

http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/moon.tn.html This is the actual URL address of the place where I found the moon phases video in case you want it. I realized after saving all those links the way I did, I wasn't giving any URL addresses, and I certainly want folks to be able to get there quickly and find these cool facts themselves.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~krcool/Astro/moon/ And this is Keith's Moon Page, the very interesting facts and trivia page with great moon photos and links. It's also where I found the photo above of the Orange Moon 

http://home.hiwaay.net/~krcool/Astro/moon/moonorange/).

 Bea

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!  How did you do that? - K.

Anonymous said...

Karen, I right clicked on the photo and copied, pasted. I wanted to make sure everyone knew where it came from so I added the links, but remembered that when others click on the links, they will get to the site, but the won't have the URL address. It will still show my journal address. So I added the URL address at the end of the entry. Bea

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the explanation!  Unfortunately, the moon was well up into the sky when I left the office tonight.  Seems as though I hardly ever get to see it looking extra large.

I had an Arrow Book Club book called The Moonball, about a mysterious ball from outer space.  I don't remember anything else about it. Madeleine L'Engle's second book about the Austin family is The Moon By Night.  (The title is from Psalm 121.)  And of course, there's the kid's book in 2nd person future tense, You Will Go to the Moon.

Karen

Anonymous said...

Dear Bea,
thank you! hugs
natalie

Anonymous said...

AHHH...I love this pic of the moon! Beautiful!!!
Blessings,
Sugar
http://journals.aol.com/sugarsweet056/MYLIFE/

Anonymous said...

Oh wow - this is such a gorgeous picture!