
Now, see, I didn't get this graphic until today. I could have shown my students this series of the moon phases. Well, I did show them the video I mentioned in yesterday's entry, and they wanted me to replay it over and over again. One student said, "That really helps me understand it better."
One boy acted uninterested in all the moon pictures until he saw the video. He nearly jumped out his seat to get to the monitor to see the replay. Then he asked me to send the address to his cousin who has a computer. He's hooked!
This graphic came from AOL Research and Learn Skywatcher. Apparently, tomorrow night there will be a Wolf Moon, so called because "Indian tribes gave this name to January's moon. Wolf packs used to howl hungrily outside villages at this time of year."
More information regarding the names given to the different full moons can be found at The Farmer's Almanac. It's good reading.
I've include the actual web addresses of the above links for your information.
http://www.farmersalmanac.com/astronomy/fullmoonnames.html
http://reference.aol.com/space/fullmoon


5 comments:
Well, I've been trying to take moon pictures for the past three nights. Tonight's are no more successful than Wednesday's and Thursday's, but they're kind of interesting. I should have some of them posted shortly.
Karen
http://outmavarin.blogspot.com/
Can't wait to see your pictures, Karen. I've never tried photographing the moon... since you're on my alert, I'll know when you've posted them. It's raining here tonight, and there is a tornado watch in this and surrounding counties. NOt a good moon viewing night. bea
Dear Bea, Very nice!
thank you
nat
Neat! I am willing to bet you are a wonderful teacher....whose students seldom fall asleep in class. - Barbara
http://journals.aol.com/bhbner2him/LifeFaithinCaneyhead/entries/1824
This is so interesting to me, because I have always had a thing about anything that has to do with space. The Moon.. the planets.. alien life forms... I just love it all!
Jackie
Post a Comment