Monday, January 2, 2006

Why I Write Much

So, my New Year's Resolution is brevity over verbosity.

That's going to be difficult, you see, because I don't talk much. I write much. I think I write more than I talk because I don't talk much around other people. I do a lot of listening in public places, even at friends' and family's homes. Especially on the phone.

I don't talk much because I'm not a quick thinker. My response time is slow... real slow, unless it's an emergency. One year I took First Responder Training. I can respond quickly in an emergency, but when talking is involved, I need plenty of listening time, to go over in my mind what I'm hearing, to make sure I understand what is being said. If it's important enough, I will ask questions to clarify.

When I was younger, it embarrassed me that I took so long to understand what another person had said to me. Especially in a situation where exchanges of wittiness were taking place, mine would be slow and hesitant, and I'd feel stupid afterwards when I could think of very clever things to say.

But now, being older and wiser, I realize that not talking is a gift as well. Holding back comments, whether you don't know what to say , you don't want to hurt their feelings, or you don't think it's appropriate to say, can be a strength and a desirable quality these days. What a great way to diffuse an argument (you don't want to contribute to) than to say nothing when that person needs someone to react defensively, or wants you to get angry. Works like a charm. When all the name calling is done, you get to walk away with no regrets, no harm done, no wounds dealt. No apologies needed.

Withholding words is a practical tactic in many situations, but there are times you shouldn't withhold what's on your mind. For instance, if you know something about another person, your speaking to the appropriate authority or community leader can cause others to get involved in helping the person or family out of their predicament.

But as far as small talk and social conversation, sometimes witholding is the appropriate action to take. I have caused more problems with my wagging tongue in the past than I care to admit. As a result, I don't talk much. What I don't say is more valuable than what I do say. And what I do say is going to come out for the good of another, not for their demise. Our words can destroy another person, or at least deflect what might have been for them. You can cause a lot of havoc in a person's life by saying criticisms about them to your friends.

It all begins with the thinking. Think negative things about another, then say something negative about them, and the next thing you know, they are experiencing negative relationships.

So, forgive me if I write too much now and then. Still, it is my goal to be more concise with my language. And brief. There!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bea,
I could learn so much from you.  See, I am one of those quick thinking, witty responding people.  I think and speak quickly.  Sometimes too quickly!  My mouth gets me in trouble more times than I would care to admit.  I am trying, though, to shut my trap, and count to ten before I open my mouth.  That's hard for me to do, but something I must learn.  I don't mind being witty and knowing just what to say when the need arises, but sometimes I speak before I think, so I am always inserting foot in mouth and swallowing whole!  Doesn't always leave such a nice taste in ones mouth.

Wonderful entry, Bea...   :)

jackie

Anonymous said...

Your ability to listen is at least as valuable as a quick wit.  I'd love to have either gift.  Well, actually, I'd love to have both! - Karen

Anonymous said...

Food for thought i like just listing to other people talk most of the time people just wont someone to listen
Terrie

Anonymous said...

interesting..it follows that you must be a great listener!
((hugs Bea)))
nat